The intrusion detection in the 3D space function provided by XTrust and built within the D-SenS project is shown as a live and permament demo till the end of august 2014 at the Urban Mill.
The intrusion detection in the 3D space application has been thought principally for asset protection, but its presence at the Urban Mill may sugggest different applications, for instance in the area of safety. Urban Mill brings togheter the research and innovation actors of built environment development, ubiquitous & responsive city ICT, urban services and urban life transformation.
XTrust is a consortium member of the EU funded project: ”Depth Sensing Systems for People Safety”. D-SenS is a research project founded by EU for the benefit of SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises). The D-Sens-project is aimed to provide a common technology platform together with some of the principal European research institutes. By developing more accurate and robust computer vision (CV) systems with the use of depth sensor in addition to regular cameras we aim to create some innovative but “market ready” applications.
The Project Objectives
Sensing in depth is going to be the next generation for machine vision applications. It is not just about detecting, tracking of a lot of different objects in changing environment.
In terms of technology, sensing in depth means more accurate detection, tracking and classification of objects.
Sensing in depth provides value for the people safety sector, in security, assisted living and smart buildings applications. Sensing in depth algorithms for these applications will be for commercial use.
Lower cost of technology and opportunities for new Use Cases provides high market potential in the global marketplace.
- In D-SenS we will develop novel monitoring applications to increase people safety in domains related to assisted living, smart buildings and security.Applications will be using low cost depth sensing technology for increased computer vision accuracy and re-use.
- Applications will be built on top of a common framework that contains the computer vision algorithms for depth and image sensor analysis. Framework enables rapid implementation of monitoring applications, thus enhancing the competitiveness of the participating SME’s and allowing a better co-operation between SME’s.
- Project will develop novel algorithms for object detection, tracking and classification as well as human detection, tracking and behaviour analysis utilising depth and texture information. Developed algorithms will be integrated and optimised to the common framework.
- The SMEs will acquire knowledge on depth sensor technology. They learn how to utilise the depth sensing technology with their current solutions and possibly substitute existing CV solutions with depth sensing as well as proceed into new application markets.
- Current computer vision systems can require enormous amount computing power, which limit their usage in practical applications due to cost and delay of the processing. D-SenS will create fast and less computing power requiring computer vision systems by optimising 2D vision analysis algorithms and substituting some 2D computer vision system functionalities with depth sensor information.
- Project will pilot the developed solutions in real use cases in all defined application domains. Pilots will be organised by participating companies.
The project is divided into six work packages and tasks inside the work packages. The work packages mainly divide the project into separate technical topics, while tasks generate the timeline of the project results.
More precisely the project work can be divided into following activities:
- Research, technological development and innovation activities: WP1 Specification of the people safety system is the starting point of technical activities, where we set the base for the development work, which will follow in work packages 2 and 3. WP1 is a central work package as it defines the requirements for both the common framework and the safety applications to be developed in D-SenS. The WP2 Common framework for depth information analysis will provide a common algorithm pool that enables rapid development of depth camera and camera analysis applications for people safety domain. In WP3 Application design and implementation we will implement people safety applications for the verification and demonstration of feasibility of our development work done in WP2. As an outcome this WP will produce integrated applications, which will be ready for field trials and piloting, and ready to be commercialized.
- Demonstration activities: Our approach in D-SenS is based on a development model, where all the software versions are verified with actual data. In first phase the data will be development data resulting from WP1, but in an early phase we will also start validating the results using real world set-ups creating field trials, demonstrations and in the end of the project also piloting. The demonstration work is done in WP4 Technology validation and demonstration starting by the end of the first project year. As validation of results and demonstration together with piloting are of major importance in achieving the real business benefits expected by the consortium SMEs all them will participate to this work package. The project pilots on assisted living and smart building will take place in Finland and the pilot on security in Italy.
- Other activities: In WP5 Facilitating the take-up of results the consortium will assure an efficient technology transfer from the RTD partners to SME personal. A specific task will handle the controlled dissemination of project results by providing a dissemination plan and by defining the different forums for dissemination. The knowledge management and IPR protection issues are dealt in this work package as well aiming to support the SMEs use of research results to their best advantage, leading to a clear economic impact. The exploitation of project results will base on a specific business plan containing a common and per partner view on the business potential of the project. We consider this work package to have an important role on the overall project implementation and thus will work on these topics the whole duration of the project (M1-24).
- Management activities: The WP6 Project management will manage project internal issues and communication as well as all the communication with the REA and other public authorities.
Follow the project progress at www.d-sens.eu